Revision as of 19:43, 13 February 2010 by Dirk (added a link to SoC_socialnetworking)
These are new and not fully fleshed-out ideas for the Google Summer of Code. Contributions welcome!
- Site Migration for PostgreSQL and/or MS SQL
- Database Migration: Switch from Postgres to MySQL or MS SQL or the other way around
- E-Mail Subsystem: Geeklog sometimes has to send out a lot of emails. Instead of sending them all at once (and running into timeouts), we could queue them and send them out in batches. This queue should allow for other job types as well.
- Facebook Connect: Allow users to login to a Geeklog site with their Facebook Account. Could become part of the Social Networking Features Project.
- Multi-site Setup: Run several websites off of one codebase. There's a hack for that, but it's a pain for upgrades.
- Continuation of the Configuration GUI project from GSoC 2007: more fine grained access to the Configuration; review what we have - what's missing (e.g. checkbox elements), what needs to be improved, moved around, etc.
- Admin toolbox: A collection of mini-plugins for admin tasks (e.g. reset stats, change a default setting for all users, etc.). Should have super easy install, e.g. just drop (upload?) a file in a predefined directory.
- Migration from/to other systems is always a hot topic. How could we make that easier?
- Multi user blogs. Geeklog can handle blogs of several users, actually, if you give one topic to a user then it is almost unlimited. There are a few existing discussions on the forum and also feature requests concerning the improvement of user blogs. E.g. read only topics, using GL for a large site with many users. Basically it is a native function of GL but it need some improvement.
As we flesh out these ideas, they will be moved to their own pages and linked to from our GSoC Start Page.