SoC improved search
This project was implemented in the 2008 Google Summer of Code. The improved search will be available as of Geeklog 1.6.0. This project outline is therefore only of historical interest and you can not apply for this project in future instances of the Google Summer of Code. Please see our ideas page for a current list of GSoC project ideas.
Many Geeklog sites have a lot of content spread across multiple plugins. Content can have different access rights so that needs to be respected when content search is made. There is a need to better display the search results and improve the search speed and ability for the user to refine their search and filter/sort the displayed search results.
- Tags, Tag Cloud: Ability to define tags, admin tags and search/browse using tags
- AJAX powered to improve the responsiveness of the UI and reduce the page refresh
- Better Formatting or layout options
- Sub Filtering of results
- Search within results
- Listing to have sortable headings and able to change view to see results for all or selected plugins
- User able to change the number of records per page and set preference
- Improved API - plugins need to be able to tie into the new search features
- Option on content to be excluded from search. So some public staticpages are not to be returned in searches.
Level of Difficulty
medium to high
This project will require someone to spend time understanding out the existing Search feature works, how plugins tie into the search, how the search class works.
Students will need to have experience to suggest how the ideas above would best be implemented and should likley do a proof of concept. Exploring how other tools provide search servics is a good approach to develop ideas.
Experience with User Interface design will benefit so that search implementation improvements can be made.