The MailMan program is one of the most commonly used programs for adminstrating mailing lists and is usually the only installed solution on a hosted service.
MailMan is used to maintain list subscriptions where users can self register and un-register. The lists are then used for email either as a normal or moderated email list for automatic distribution. You can also have a closed use list that can only be used by moderators.
MailMan is written in Python while Geeklog is written in PHP but there is presently a MailMan project to develope a set of REST API's
Need to further investigate where the MailMan project is on this initiative and if they would like to do a joint SoC project.
- Develop a set of MailMan wrappers for the REST API's
- Develop a MailMan plugin
- Integrate the subscriber list admin features (add/remove) into the GL member profile
- MailMan password can be sync'ed with GL password
- List Admin Features to manage lists
- Add/Delete List (support for multiple lists)
- List Types: Public, private (GL Groups) and moderated
- Add/Remove Subscribers
- Import in subscribers
- Subscribers can be GL members and non-site members
- Moderate Lists
- Use list to send out newsetters, notifications (mailings)
- Support for HTML and text mailings
- Add support for as much control as possible over the pages the user would go to in order to subscribe and un-subscribe. It would be nice to always have site control over the look and feel for all the pages the user would be directed to.
- Support for both automatic registration/un-registration based on email address and authenticated mode that requires an email confirmation.